ONA Clinical Nurse Specialist – One (1) Full Time
Palliative Care Unit – Brampton Civic Hospital & Etobicoke General Hospital
Days 7.5 hours a day 37.5 hours/week (Subject to change in accordance with the operational requirements)
- Master’s degree in Nursing, required
- Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario, required
- Current B.C.L.S. Certification, required
- Palliative Care Certificate or CHPCN (Certified Hospice Palliative Care Nurse) certificate preferred
- Must have 5 years recent experience and interest in palliative care with exemplary clinical practice in the related field
- Demonstrated ability to care for palliative patients
- Proficient in core competencies for palliative care
- CADD pump experience or willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent decision making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Works collaboratively with team members
- Ability to lead and motivate teams
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Computer knowledge including knowledge of computerized data management and statistical analysis
- Ability to work in a high stress environment
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education
- Excellent attendance, punctuality and work record
- May be required to travel between and work at all hospital campuses
Clinical PracticeThe Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) is a pivotal role within the palliative care team. In this role, you will work collaboratively with physicians and the interdisciplinary team to provide care to palliative inpatients as well as patients consulted to the palliative service. The CNS engages in direct clinical practice by:
- Completing initial screening assessment of symptoms and psychosocial supports, including recording of symptoms using the Edmonton Symptom Assessment System (ESAS).
- Completing patient consultations and reviewing with the attending palliative care physician.
- Maintaining a waitlist for the acute palliative inpatient unit; triaging patients daily. Contact patients / families, physicians, case mangers, and registered nurses to obtain a history, updates, and confirm that patient continues to meet admission criteria.
- Supportive counseling and teaching of patients and families including end-of-life planning, information regarding supports available and teaching around effective use of medication.
- Referral to appropriate community agencies, home care services and home palliative care physicians.
The CNS will be responsible for the care of patients/families in the outpatient palliative pain / symptom management clinic, which includes: assessing, counseling, teaching and supporting.
- Complete follow-up visits of patients in the outpatient palliative care clinic, by telephone or when they attend other ambulatory appointments.
- Telephone follow-up of pain and symptom management
- Dressing changes, wound assessment, and CADD pump adjustments
Education / Professional Development
- Leads in-service activities and clinical teaching for the palliative care team
- Provide education sessions for nursing staff in other in-patient units
- Conduct presentations for external community groups
Leadership / Program Development
- Mentors, supports, and coaches nursing staff in practicing a palliative approach to patient / family care by providing feedback and role-modeling
- Engage nursing staff in implementation of research in their practice
- Leads the development and implementation of corporate wide policies and procedures related to the palliative patients
- Acts as consultant for the organization internally and externally to advise on systems related to palliative care
- Participate in sharing clinical practice with other organizations in the community to promote evidence-based practice
- Participate in palliative team meetings and committees
- Engages in evidence-based practice through research
- Provides nursing staff with research findings
- Promote research within William Osler Health System
POSTED: July 9, 2014
*Please note that only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted
**In order to be considered for this position, you must include a current resume or detailed qualifications summary with your application
Please apply online at: www.williamoslerhs.ca or email firstname.lastname@example.org