FACULTY OF MEDICINE
Department of Family and Emergency Medicine
More than a school, Université Laval is an entire community in the heart of Quebec City, a complete university recognized for its leadership and its culture of excellence both in teaching and research.
The Department of Family and Emergency Medicine (DMFMU) of the Faculty of Medicine of Laval University is seeking a clinician scientist in palliative care.
Palliative care has been identified as one of the five most important health needs. Research in this field has boomed in recent decades, not only in Quebec but across Canada and around the world.
In 1993, the Faculty of Medicine and the Maison Michel-Sarrazin (palliative care center) created the Chair of Palliative Care at Laval University to support the development of research, education and vocational training in palliative care in the to generate new knowledge and improve the quality of care in this area.
The investments of the Chair allowed the emergence of the Michel-Sarrazin research team in palliative care and supported its growth to become the Michel-Sarrazin research team in psychosocial oncology and palliative care (ERMOS). Founded in an interdisciplinary approach and liaising with other research centers, ERMOS provides leadership in research in psychosocial oncology and palliative care within the Integrated University Health Network (RUIS) at Laval University. This team includes physicians and researchers from the Faculties of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Social Sciences. Its research program is well established and contributes not only to the development of knowledge and practice in palliative care, but also to policy and service planning.
We are seeking a clinician scientist in the field of palliative care to join the DMFMU and contribute to research and teaching in Faculty of Medicine and ERMOS team. This is a tenure track position, full time, with 75% of the successful candidate’s time devoted to research activities.
- Develop a research program in the field of palliative care in collaboration with ERMOS.
- Apply for salary awards and research grants from funding agencies to support research activities.
- Be actively involved in the supervision of graduate students.
- Contribute to the promotion and development of palliative care in the Department, Faculty of Medecine and other partners from Laval University Faculties and institutions of RUIS-Laval.
- Disseminate knowledge and research activity outputs through scientific communications and publications.
- Participate in the development and the delivery of graduate and undergraduate educational activities in the field of palliative care.
- MD degree;
- Good performance indicators in research : publications, grants applications, graduate students;
- Research training suitable for obtaining a clinician scientist award from funding agencies;
- Experience in research;
- Willingness to practice medicine (25%) in palliative care at the Maison Michel-Sarrazin would be an asset;
- Clinical experience or complementary training in palliative care will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated interest in teaching in a university setting and supervision of graduate students;
- Coming from another university would be an asset;
- French and English language skills.
- Regular full-time tenure track with 75% in research;
- Rank, salary and benefits determined by the collective agreements applicable (AMCEL);
- Appointment to the Department of Family and Emergency Medicine.
Application deadline: December 6, 2013
Starting date: May 1st, 2014
Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae with a cover letter outlining their teaching experience, their current research, and their future research interests. We also request the names of three referees and their contact information. The application must be received by December 6, 2013 at 4:00 p.m. and should be addressed to:
Monsieur Guy Béland, directeur
Département de médecine familiale et de médecine d’urgence
Faculté de médecine
Pavillon Ferdinand-Vandry, local 4617
Québec (QC) G1V 0A6
Email : email@example.com
For further information: 418 656-3678
Valuing diversity, Université Laval encourages all qualified individuals to apply-particularly women, visible and ethnic minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities-but priority will be given to Canadians and Canadian permanent residents.