The Workshop will be chaired by Dr Jonah Wefuan, Specialist Internist and Rheumatologist, Consultant Physician CEO/Director, Greenfield Dynamic Medical Centre Cameroon and former Chairman of the African Palliative Care Association (APCA) Board of Directors; and Professor Olaitan Soyannwo, Consultant Anaesthetist, pain and palliative care, UCH, Ibadan and Director Centre for Palliative Care, Nigeria, and former member of APCA Board of Directors.
The aim of the workshop is to facilitate a dialogue between palliative care stakeholders from West Africa about the status of palliative care in the region and to develop the most appropriate and practical strategies to ensure that palliative care for all is achieved in the region.
Objectives of the workshop
The workshop objectives are:
- to identify and prioritise the major palliative care needs and gaps for West Africa
- discuss and adopt the strategies to address the palliative care needs for West African countries; and
- to identify funding and other opportunities that can support the integration of palliative care within the health systems in West African countries.
Stakeholders particularly from both Anglophone and Francophone West African countries who will be part of the 5th International African Palliative Care Conference will attend the workshop. The target countries include: Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, The Gambia, Cameroon, Togo, Liberia, Mauritania, Benin, Sierra Leone, Cote D’Ivore, Mali, Niger, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Burkina Faso, among others.
Participants will include representatives from Ministries of Health from the West African countries, palliative care national associations, hospices and palliative care service sites, academic institutions, individual palliative care champions among others.
The workshop will also be open to stakeholders from other regions such as those working in the donor community and academia.
Venue and time
The workshop will be held on Tuesday 16th August 2016 from 8:00am – 10:30am at Speke Resort Munyonyo, Kampala, Uganda.
Expected outcomes of the workshop include:
- documented palliative care needs and gaps for West Africa by country with proposed strategies to counter these
- identified strategies to address the palliative care needs for West Africa
- identified potential funding and other opportunities that can support the integration of palliative care in West Africa; and
- practical proposals for the next steps.
You can find out more about the pre-conference workshops and the 5th International African Palliative Care Conference on the conference website.