Anyone can suggest a theme by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 January 2018. The suggestions will be summarised by staff and advocacy group advisers for a paper with recommendations to go to the WHPCA board for discussion.
The themes should:
- Address a key issue in hospice and palliative care
- Be relevant internationally
- Be easily understood by the general public
- Keep people directly affected by palliative care as patients, family member and carers at the centre of all theme ideas.
We have had some good suggestions so far, and are keen to gather as many ideas as possible. It has been suggested that we frame theme ideas to make clear the relevance and importance of palliative care to ongoing issues in health, economics and development. For example: How can palliative care address household poverty, gender inequality, or other global challenges.
The global and national health agendas look set to increasingly focus on Universal Health Coverage. In addition they are key events in the coming years around ageing and NCDs.
Given that World Hospice and Palliative Care Day is about sharing our vision with wider audiences, we are keen to ensure that there is a strong focus on raising public awareness and demand of palliative care as a central component of our themes for the next three years and ensuring the voice of broader audiences are heard.
What are the aims of World Hospice and Palliative Care Day?
- To share our vision to increase the availability of hospice and palliative care throughout the world by creating opportunities to speak out about the issues
- To raise awareness and understanding of the needs – medical, social, practical, spiritual – of people living with a life limiting illness and their families
- To raise funds to support and develop hospice and palliative care services around the world.
Please send suggestions of overarching theme and sub-themes to feed into a three year strategy to email@example.com
by 2 January 2018.
We aim to announce the themes in January 2018.
You can find out more about World Hospice and Palliative Care Day on the WHPCA website.