In the UK, Island Hospice and Healthcare UK, which provides support to Island Hospice and Health Care Zimbabwe, has launched an appeal with Tonkotsu. Tonkotsu is a successful ramen restaurant with 6 independent outlets across London and a presence in Selfridges in London and Birmingham. In the stand alone outlets, Tonkotsu are requesting a 50p donation from tables of more than 2 which will be matched by Tonkotsu in aid of Island Hospice and Healthcare Zimbabwe.
All the funds raised will go to provide essential palliative care medicines for people who are living with serious and life-threatening illness. It is a fantastic initiative by Tonkotsu to help those in need in Zimbabwe is some of the most challenging times.
It is estimated that 1 in 60 people need palliative care. 1 in 4 children in Zimbabwe have lost one or both parents and require bereavement support. The health system is struggling to cope and basic needs such as food, cash and medicines are out of reach many. The small costs to access basic health care are too much for too many and the distances people have to travel to receive health care prevent people accessing the basic treatments and support they need.
The political situation is challenging and as it continues there is increased fear of violence. But while the political situation unfolds, people in need continue to call the Island hospice team with stage IV cancer, HIV and other conditions which require immediate support to treat suffering and the Island Hospice and Healthcare team respond.
Despite the challenges Island Hospice and Healthcare continue to work and provide the care that is needed for the most vulnerable in the country. They radically improve and change people’s lives and you can help. Now more than ever they need your support and just a small action or donation can make a radical difference.
Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have. Margaret Mead
Here is how you can help:
- Donate to Island Hospice and Healthcare Zimbabwe: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/island-hospice-and-healthcare/?rf=ggWidget
- Donate to Island Hospice and Healthcare UK (a UK registered charity): http://www.islandhospice.org.uk/
- Visit Tonkotsu in London with at least one friend before the end of November and order a ramen: http://www.tonkotsu.co.uk/page/contact
- Tweet your support for the work they are doing and share how information on how people can help: @islandhospicezw
Some suggested tweets:
- 1 in 60 people in #Zimbabwe need palliative care. They need your help now more than ever. Donate here: http://bit.ly/2hEq6I6 @islandhospicezw
- Visit @tonkotsulondon for a ramen before the end of November with your friend and you can support the amazing work of @islandhospicezw who are helping the most vulnerable.