New Tŷ Hafan role part of plans to improve paediatric palliative care across Wales

Categories: Care.

The children’s hospice, which is based in Sully, recently commissioned a report entitled ‘Palliative care for children and young people in Wales: Meeting future needs’, in which a number of recommendations were made for improving the support available to families across the country.

The new role will be part of plans to fulfil those recommendations. Recruitment for the job will take place this month, with the consultant being jointly employed by the NHS (through Cardiff and Vale University Health Board) and Tŷ Hafan.

Funding for the role is divided between the health board, which will contribute 60%, and the charity, which will make up the remaining 40%. The consultant will be based at Tŷ Hafan.

It is hoped that the new position will allow for the development of the existing 24/7 telephone service to support professionals caring for children and young adults with life-limiting conditions across Wales.

The new position has also been endorsed by the Welsh government: “I welcome this newly extended role which provides the opportunity to build on extremely important work previously led by Dr Victoria Lidstone,” said Mark Drakeford, minister for health and social services.

“It is a positive example of our combined commitment to delivering high quality compassionate care to young adults at what can be difficult times for them, their families and carers.”

Both Tŷ Hafan and Cardiff and Vale University Health Board are looking forward to working collaboratively.

“At the time we launched the report, I claimed that it would herald a new period of engagement between the NHS and Tŷ Hafan and so it has proved,” Tŷ Hafan’s deputy chief executive officer, Jeremy Jackson, said.

“We’re delighted to join forces with the University Health Board to integrate our services and in doing so improve the experience of families facing unimaginable circumstances. I welcome the addition of the consultant to our dedicated care team.”

Rosemarie Whittle, head of operations and delivery in community child health at the health board, added: “We’re really pleased to be working together with Tŷ Hafan on facilitating this innovative new post.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *