This one day conference, run in partnership by St Joseph’s Hospice, St Christopher’s and Hospice UK, will launch the publication ‘Rehabilitative Palliative Care: The Case for Change’. The publication responds and builds on the future context of hospice and palliative care, as described in the final recommendations from the Commission into the Future of Hospice Care. Both the publication and the conference will offer:
- a rationale and evidence base to support hospices in adopting a rehabilitative approach to palliative care, as means of supporting individuals and responding to increasing demand for palliative care services in a cost effective way
- an insight into patients’ personal priorities for care and real life perspectives on how a rehabilitative approach can best support their goals and aspirations to live life fully until they die
- a showcase of innovation and best practice in rehabilitative palliative care from across the UK
- tools for hospices to engage and communicate the approach to stakeholders, eg commissioners, GPs and other referrers, funders and informal carers
- a checklist to engage hospice boards, senior managers and the wider multi-professional workforce to assess their readiness to adopt this approach and guide tangible actions to implement rehabilitative palliative care in practice – both now and for the future. .
By the end of the event participants will be able to:
- have an understanding of what is meant by a rehabilitative approach to palliative care, and how to adopt and embed it within their services
- consider the benefits and challenges of the approach and the evidence base for adopting it
- identify a rehabilitative approach to palliative care as a key determinant for the sustainability of hospice care.
Speakers will include:
- Heather Richardson, Joint CEO St Christopher’s and former National Clinical Director, Hospice UK
- Rebecca Tiberini, Specialist Palliative Care Physiotherapist and Therapies Services Manager St Joseph’s Hospice, AHP representative on Hospice UK Expert Care Group
- Karen Middleton, Chief Executive for The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (tbc)
Who should attend?
Allied Health Professionals (physiotherapists, occupational therapists, rehabilitation assistants, dieticians, speech and language therapists), multi-professional palliative care professionals, executive clinical leads, service managers, chief executives, trustees.
Date & Time: 3 July 2015, 10am-4pm
Venue: St Joseph’s Hospice, Mare Street, London E8 4SA
Price: £110 plus VAT (£132 total) for members, £165 plus VAT (£198 total) for non-members
To book a place, please visit Hospice UK’s website.