Understanding Personal Independence Payments

Categories: Care.

Personal Independence Payment

From 8 April, Personal Independence Payments (PIP) replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA). PIP is designed to help people meet the extra costs that come from having a long-term health condition or disability.

PIP is made up of two parts, a Daily Living component and a Mobility component. Each component has two rates; standard and enhanced. PIP is not affected by income or savings, it is not taxable and people can get it whether they are in or out of work. 

Existing DLA claimants will be asked to claim PIP at some point from October 2013, but most won’t be affected before October 2015.

Special rules for terminally ill people

There are special rules for people who have a terminal illness. These claims will be dealt with faster and claimants will not need to attend a face-to-face consultation, or to fulfil the three month qualifying period or prospective test.

These claimants are entitled to the enhanced rate of the Daily Living component automatically from the date of claim but will be assessed for the Mobility component. 

Claimants can start a claim to PIP under the special rules for terminally ill people by contacting the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

If someone is claiming under these special rules, the phone call can be made by someone supporting the claimant (such as a support organisation or family member) without the claimant needing to be present. However, the claimant should be told about the claim because DWP may need to contact them to verify their details and will send notifications and any payment to them.

To claim under these special rules, a claimant or somebody acting on their behalf, should send DWP a DS1500 form from the claimants doctor, specialist or consultant to support their claim, if they have not sent one for this or any other benefit in the last six months. The DS1500 is a report about the claimant’s medical condition. Claimants, or somebody acting on their behalf, can ask the doctor’s receptionist, a nurse or a social worker to arrange for the form to be completed. 

PIP Toolkit

The Department for Work and Pensions has developed a PIP toolkit to help support organisations ensure that the people they support understand the new Personal Independence Payment and how to make a claim.

Tailored information and guidance for carers organisations, other support organisations and the health sector have been published, alongside a number of posters, presentations and quick guides. British Sign Language videos and an audio guide are also available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *