This final rule (CMS-1652-F) becomes effective October 1, 2016 .
NHPCO’s Health Policy Team offers a brief summary. The FY2017 final hospice wage index rule includes:
- Analysis of data trends in hospice utilization.
- A 2.1% hospice hospital market-basket increase.
- A cap amount of $28,404.99.
- A change in the cap year to October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017.
- Two new quality measures; data collection to start April 1, 2017.
- Details on the development of a standardized patient assessment instrument, although not proposed in this final rule.
- Details on the development of Hospice Compare, to begin in mid-year 2017.
It should be noted that the wage index values for every state and county is no longer published in the Federal Register, the final wage index values applicable for FY 2017 is available on the CMS Web site.
NHPCO members will find a comprehensive Regulatory Alert available in the regulatory section of NHPCO’s website.