- Get the information you need to make informed choices about pain management and treatments.
- If you are in pain, tell your doctor and caregivers.
- Discuss your thoughts, concerns and choices with your family and friends.
- Talk to your doctor about different treatments and therapies.
- Share your pain goal with your doctor and family/friend caregivers.
- Ask for help from others if your pain makes it difficult to do household chores or other tasks.
- Discuss your choices often, especially when your medical condition changes.
- If you are talking to a physician on behalf of someone in pain, be sure to gather information before you call or speak to the physician, including pain level, pain goal, other symptoms and what medications the care recipient is taking.
- Learn about the resources that are available in your community, including your local hospice and palliative care providers. For more information about where to find a hospice or palliative care provider.
For more information about pain at the end of life, visit the pain section of the Caring Connections website.