This new issue of the ChiPPS E-Journal (PDF) offers a collection of articles that explore selected issues related to delivering care to siblings and grandparents, both of whom are often described as “forgotten grievers.”
Contributing authors explore the needs of siblings and grandparents, while also offering suggestions concerning their care as an important aspect of providing pediatric palliative/hospice care.
Articles included in this issue:
• Scott Newport’s Comfort Carts by Scott Newport
• The Death of My Sister by Mackenzie Elde
• What about Me?; Addressing the Grief and Bereavement Needs of Siblings by Danielle Jonas, MSW, Caitlin Scanlon, MSW, Susan Gorry, CCLS, & Jori F. Bogetz, MD
• What Siblings Would Like Parents and Service Providers to Know by Don Meyer
• If Only by Jennifer Holler, LCSW, ACHP-SW
• “Can You Play With Me?” Using Play to Support the Siblings of Pediatric Hospice Patients by Lenze Ramage, CCLS, & Stephanie Lamy Mishoe, MEd, CCLS
• The Forgotten Grievers by Magellan Taylor, MA, CCLS, GC-C
• The Bus Stop Club, Inc. by Brian Sheridan, MD
• Books & Resources for Siblings with a Special Healthcare Needs Brother or Sister or Who Has Had a Sibling Die, compiled by Ann Fitzsimons, BS, MBA, Rachel Levy, PhD., & Jennifer Mangers, MS, CCLS
• The Lives and Deaths of Two Children: The Grandparents’ Role by Gay Lord
• Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: For Grandparents . . . A “Double Grief” by First Candle/SIDS Alliance
This resource is available free of charge online: Download the PDF.
Please note, archived issues are available at nhpco.org/pediatrics.