The Joint Commission’s current Advanced Palliative Care Certification program is based on the 2009 Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) for Quality Palliative Care produced by the National Consensus Project. Using the National Consensus Project’s CPGs (2013) and National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s Standards of Practice for Pediatric Palliative Care (2010).
The Joint Commission staff identified areas for enhancement in the Advanced Palliative Care requirements.
The areas for enhancement are listed below:
• Increased focus on care of patient and family
• Referrals to community resources and hospice providers
• Assessments by members of the interdisciplinary program team
• Palliative care for pediatric patients and family
• Orientation and education for interdisciplinary program team members
The Joint Commission is proposing changes to the requirements and is seeking input from the field. Comments will be gathered through August 21, 2014. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful responses.
Link to the field review: http://jointcommission.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3xxjuPl24YU5oB7.
Leave a Reply