The Palliative Care Center has partnered with the Bureau of Senior Services to provide free Basic Caregiver Workshops throughout Boone County.
A class is scheduled for 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, July 16, at the Racine Senior Center.
This 2- hour workshop is for you if….
• Someone you care for has a serious illness
• You’re not sure how to begin or what to do next
• You have lots of questions and trouble finding answers
• You’re feeling overwhelmed or alone or stressed
• You’re considering becoming a paid caregiver
• Expert tips that make caregiving easier and safer
• Information on planning ahead so you can have control, even in a crisis
• About specific resources in your community that you can turn to for help
Here are a few comments from everyday people who have attended these workshops:
• “I learned some specific things that will help me take care of my Dad.”
• “The Community Resource Guide looks wonderful, I had no idea these things were available.”
• “It was good to come and talk with other caregivers, nice to know I’m not alone.”
Nurse Carol Matheny, RN, MSN, CHPN, will be teaching the classes. People who have attended her classes describe her as “very knowledgeable and informative”, “a good teacher”, and “nice and personable.”
Nurse Practitioner Vickie Powell, FNP-BC, CHPCA, Director of the Palliative Care Center, said, “We saw that caregivers often had the same concerns, questions, and dilemmas, but had a hard time getting the help they needed. That’s why we created the classes. We want to support the caregiver. When you support the caregiver, you’re helping the patient.”
These classes are provided free thanks to a grant from the Kanawha Valley Council on Philanthropy Community Initiative.
For questions or to register for any of these classes, please contact Carol Matheny at (304) 941-1950 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org