Jointly hosted by the University of Miami´s Institute for the Americas and Miller School of Medicine, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the Harvard Global Equity Initiative, the Commission will produce a report addressing metrics, models and innovations relating to global palliative care.
The objectives of the meeting were to:
- reconvene the Commission, uniting specialists in pain control and palliative care with experts in global health and health systems;
- share findings and results, and decide on last stages of analysis of: Economic evaluation and metrics; Models and innovations, and Universal health coverage and palliative care;
- share, review and finalise key messages, summary of findings, conclusions and recommendations (to be shared via email with other commissioners);
- refine and discuss the component parts of the Commission’s report; and
- review work plan leading up to the launch of the Commission’s report and beyond.
Dr Stephen Connor, Executive Director of the Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance, and member of the Commission’s Scientific Advisory Committee, attended the meeting and said: “the Lancet Commission’s work will help identify the magnitude of suffering experienced globally and will advance the field of palliative care and pain relief.”
The report is set to launch by early next year.