This course is for all healthcare professionals supporting patients with chronic and life-limiting disease experiencing breathlessness and associated anxiety.
Helping patients to live well with illness and holistic care are core remits of supportive and palliative care, yet breathlessness is under-researched and managed in advanced disease, and medical options are limited. Any health care practitioner, mindfulness teacher, yoga therapist or teacher working in or interested in supportive and palliative care would find this course useful. It may also be of interest to chaplains or those interested in ways to incorporate non-religious spiritual elements into their care of patients and families facing terminal illness.
This course will:
- Describe what mindful yoga is and how I use it with patients
- Set out the evidence-base for mindful yoga in supportive and palliative care
- Illustrate the techniques used via experiential learning
- Teach practical take-home skills and open up discussion within the multi-disciplinary group to share experiences
- Offer ideas for managing breathlessness from varied perspectives.
This course also runs in October 2015.