David Flucker (99), a devoted volunteer at St Columba’s Hospice Care has donated a handmade 00 Gauge Model Railway to the Hospice to raise much needed funds for the charity. Available to view at the charity’s Ocean Terminal Shop, the model railway, which has been valued at £500, will be on display in the window until 18 October when the winner will be drawn.
David, who recently celebrated his 99th Birthday in the shop, said:
“I’ve always been passionate about building model railways, this one is called ‘Hazelville’! I named it after the shop manager Hazel who helps me when I’m volunteering.
St Columba’s Hospice Care does so much to help so many people in the local community, so I do anything I can to support the cause and give something back. I hope the winner will enjoy the railway as much as I enjoyed making it and that the raffle raises lots of money for the Hospice.”
The railway measures 4ft x 6ft and comprises of two trains and four carriages. Tickets can be bought in store (Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-4pm) and are £2 each with all profits going to the Hospice. David will be on hand in store giving demonstrations of the model until the winner is announced.
Jon Heggie, Director of Income Generation for St Columba’s Hospice Care, said:
“David has done so much for the Hospice and we were delighted to receive his model railway as a raffle prize. He’s become a well-known face in our Ocean Terminal shop and we can’t thank him enough for his support and volunteering efforts. All of the funds raised from ticket sales with directly help the patients and families we support across Edinburgh and the Lothians.”
Photo caption: David Flucker (99) from Corstorphine, posing with the 00 Gauge Model Railway set he built and donated to the Hospice. The model is being offered as a prize in a raffle to raise money for the Hospice and is on display in Ocean Terminal.
For more information please contact Chelsie Harris, PR & Communications Manager on 0131 551 7741 or email@example.com.
About St Columba’s Hospice Care:
- Founded in 1977, St Columba’s Hospice Care provides free specialist palliative care and support to patients and their families across Edinburgh and the Lothians.
- Patients and their families access our services through our 22 bed inpatient unit, our Community Hospice Service both in the community and in their own home and through a range of Supportive Care Services depending on their needs. Each year, specialist care is given to over 1,100 people and their families.
- As well as the highest quality of clinical care, the Hospice offers emotional, spiritual and practical support to our patients and their loved ones. The Hospice helps people face the most difficult experience they will ever go through, with confidence and dignity.
- The Hospice is committed to developing understanding and practice in palliative care. The Hospice has a Centre for Education and Research which offers a wide range of educational opportunities at all levels for health and social care professionals. The Hospice team produces research that impacts on the practice and understanding of palliative care worldwide.
- St Columba’s Hospice Care is a registered charity and it costs £10.7 million a year to run the Hospice. The Hospice relies on donations to fund 73% of its running costs.
For more information please visit www.stcolumbashospice.org.uk.