Donations made to projects through the Big Give Christmas Challenge website on Friday 4 and Saturday 5 of December can be matched by ‘Charity Champions’, so a donation of £10 becomes £20 – just like that!
To access these funds, donations need to be made at 12 noon (or as close as possible) on Friday 4 and Saturday 5 of December, when the funds will be released.
It’s called a challenge for a reason – it will be a race to see who can get the most donations before funds run out!
Hospice UK is using this opportunity to raise £23,200 for our national project – ‘Proof there are better places to die than hospital’ – which aims to reduce the number of people who die in a hospital with no need or wish to be there.
The project will identify examples of hospices working with other care providers to reduce inappropriate deaths in hospital and demonstrate the economic and human value of these so they can be replicated across the UK.
A number of local hospices are also hoping to raise money through the Christmas Challenge. You can find out more about these projects on the Big Give website:
- Isabel Hospice: Help us fund an Isabel nurse specialist
- The J’s Hospice: Respite care for life-limited young adults
- Wigan & Leigh Hospice: Improving patient dignity
- Mary Ann Evans Hospice: Help equip our lymphodema clinic
- East Lancashire Hospice: First contact team
- St Peter & St James Hospice: Expert care, choice and love at the end of life
- Haven House Children’s Hospice: Nursing care
- Julia’s House: Help us care for Dorset’s seriously ill children
How to get involved
It’s important that donations are made as soon after 12 noon as possible, so sign up for a reminder on Hospice UK’s website or add a calendar reminder to your diary for 12 noon on 4 and 5 December.
There are a few other important things for you to know:
- Don’t pre-fill the donation page prior to 12 noon – or your donation won’t get matched.
- The maximum matched donation is £5,000 per donor per project.
- Make sure you have your credit or debit card and any 3D Secure information handy as your matching funds to double your donation will only be reserved for 10 minutes.
- Unmatched donations are still welcome once match funds have been exhausted and are valuable in helping achieve our £23,200 target.
Please join us and help reach our target to meet people’s wishes when time is short. Spread the word to anyone who would be interested in supporting our work and look out for our social media posts and tweets and share them with anyone you think would like to get involved.