Every young person with a life-limiting or life-threatening condition deserves a smooth transition to adult services, enabling them to achieve their aspirations while receiving care and support.
However this is not currently the case for all young people.
To help address this, Together for Short Lives is holding four two-day masterclasses to look at the needs of young people with life-limiting conditions as they make the transition to adult services.
Day one of the masterclass will focus on understanding the needs of young people with life-shortening conditions and will cover:
- supporting young people to achieve their aspirations
- young adulthood as a developmental phase
- communicating with young people and their families
- the different types of health conditions affecting young people.
Day two will focus on meeting the needs of young people with life-shortening conditions and will cover:
- management of complex health needs: technology and interventions
- moving and handling issues
- supporting young people in the community
- identifying services and models of care.
The events are free to attend and CPD points can be applied for from the Royal College of Physicians.